When used appropriately, POCT can lead to better patient outcomes by:
- Providing a rapid result enabling responsive therapeutic interventions
- Improving patient compliance with treatment
- Improving treatment optimisation
- Decreasing the need for hospital visits
- Increasing patient satisfaction, convenience and acceptability
- Reducing length of stay
- Reducing complications
- Reducing the overall cost to NHS Wales.
Test results delivered in a timely manner ensures that people are treated and cared for in the right way, at the right time, in the right place and with the right staff.